Monday, September 8, 2014

Effective Reading and Writing Instruction

In Cunningham's text, one of the concepts that stood out to me was the concept of cross-curricular connections and the integration of reading and writing into multiple subjects. One of my professors at UT actually mentioned that part of us knowing that we are receiving an education, versus simply regurgitating material only for through the extent of the course, is realizing the ways that our different courses relate to one another. I know that I did not really get as involved with making the connections completely on my own until the last few years when my Global Studies courses began to provide different perspectives of the same or similar concepts. It has made writing papers and research significantly easier. One of the questions that I found myself asking as I read was, "What are some examples I can think of that would be effective in making connections like the ones I find myself making now?", and I think that is a question that everyone should consider. One thing I thought of was Allington's "Tasks" portion of the six T's. He discusses self-regulation of work and readings and also the importance of small group discussion. As a future elementary school teacher, whose preference tends to be for 1st and 2nd grade levels, I have to consider what could be effective ways to teach younger students self-regulation. One example I found to guide students was this handout:


I like that a handout like this could help young students understand what that might want to consider as they read, in addition to making them more familiar with different components of the book (like inferring from book cover's and titles and things like that). I also like that it would be helpful to guide lower-achieving students who may not self-regulate well and provide some options that could potentially push high-achieving students to broaden their thinking. What are some other effective ways to help students self-regulate effectively?

Another aspect that I thought about from Allington's piece for was "Texts", and the emphasis on having variety. I immediately thought of all of the classrooms I have been in with a variety of book bins or designated shelves that divided up different types of books (picture, chapter, etc.) and different subjects or genres. However, one classroom I thought of, I thought had a really unique way of integrating new books while also encouraging excitement for reading from students. Mrs. Tina is the kindergarten teacher at Thackston school, and she chooses themes about every other week for her students. This theme guides them throughout their coursework and subjects for those couple of weeks. What is unique about her selection of "free reading" books is that the class will take trips every couple weeks to the library and the students choose some of the books that will be on the offered for the independent reading portions of their day. Mrs. Tina chooses some, too, and the books typically relate to whatever the class is studying in the upcoming weeks. I have personally seen this work well in the classroom because the students are thrilled to have some say in the texts, they really learn what the focus of those weeks are because of the different ways the content is integrated and the variation of stories that exemplify their new concepts, and the repetition over the course of a couple weeks helps the knowledge stay with them. 

Lastly, a notable concept that I liked was the idea of a "No Wandering" rule during independent reading mentioned by Cunningham. I have witnessed the wanderers in classrooms in the past, and they tend to distract other readers, as well as, hinder their own progress. In another effective classroom I spent time in, 2nd grade teacher, Miss Stacy, encouraged students to sit quietly and read by having a) an abundance comfortable seating/cushions for the students to choose from to enjoy during their reading time and b) a "caught in the act" door decor, in which students who were caught reading quietly might have their picture taken doing so and then displayed one the door. This incentive really encouraged students to sit quietly and read because to be the one who had their picture taken was very exciting and all of their classmates would congratulate them because they knew how good it felt to be the one caught, too. It was really sweet, and she made sure each student was photographed multiple times throughout the year.
This is just one idea I liked for a independent reading time. Especially because I know I have old shirts that I would love to keep, but never wear really. You just make pillows out of old shirts for your students to sit on. I also like that it would be easy to maintain, switch up occasionally, and clean if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment